In this article will be explained how to obtain a NIE number (Número de Identificaión de Extranjeros) The NIE-number is a number you need for most of the governmental bodies in Spain and is comparable with the English SSN-number. Although the main procedure of obtaining the document is the same in the whole of Spain, little differences may occur in different regions of the country.
The NIE-number is required to:
- receive salary
- sell or buy a property in spain
- get insured
- get a bank account
- pay tax
- apply for social security
- apply for a driver´s licence
- apply for a mobile phone subscription
Where to apply for your NIE in Barcelona
Applying for the NIE number can be done at a police stations with a ´Foreigners Office´ (Oficina de extranjeros). In Barcelona it is located on Carrer Balmes 192 (10 minutes walk from Diagonal metro station.) The office is open from 9.00 to 14.00.
How to apply for your NIE number
If you want to apply for the NIE-number the following steps need to be taken:
- Download and print out the NIE-number application form, which you can find here
- With the filled in form, a valid passport or ID-card, a copy of your passport or ID-card (if you're not an EU citizen you'll also need to bring 2 passport photos and a proof of legal entry into Spain) and you go to the police station on Carrer Balmes 192 where you'll receive two documents: A form with a proof of application and a form with which you can pay for the costs of the NIE-number.
- Go to a nearby bank to pay for the NIE-number (it costs about 9 or 10 Euros), return to the Foreigners Office in order to collect the NIE. For EU-citizens getting a NIE-number is now a lot easier and quicker than it used to be and now things can be done within a day.
- If you are not an EU citizen you will need two passport photos
- If you are not an EU citizen you must also bring a proof of legal entry into Spain
Costs of the NIE-number
Costs may vary per province but an indication of the price of the NIE-number is around 10 Euros.
- In some cities queues for the application of the NIE number can be reasonably long. Therefore make sure you bring along a book, magazine or newspaper.
- If you're for instance in Spain for a language course which only lasts 4 to 5 months and you don't have the intention to make any other applications at governmental bodies but the NIE-number, there is no need applying for a "Ceritficado de registro como residente comunitario" (residence permit).